The new projects in Marawi City costing P115 million designed to hasten the area’s recovery from last year’s siege by Islamic State-inspired terrorists will be tightly secured authorities said.
According to Chief Superintendent Graciano Mijares of the Police Regional Office-Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao and Lt. Gen. Carlito Galvez Jr. of the Western Mindanao Command in separate statements on March 3, that plainclothes agent will help guard the projects.
The two projects were launched on Thursday by Marawi Mayor Majul Gandamra and ARMM Gov. Mujiv Hataman. The WestMinCom and the ARMM police are both helping push Malacañang’s rehabilitation efforts in Marawi City forward.
“These new projects will complement the rehabilitation initiatives of President Rodrigo Duterte for conflict-affected families in Marawi City. We shall protect these projects from saboteurs,” Galvez said on March 3, 2018.
Some 300,000 Marawi City residents where displaced in last year’s five-month siege by combined Maute and Abu Sayyaf terrorists that resulted in the deaths of hundreds, among them soldiers, and left dozens of centuries-old villages in ruins.
The launching of the PhP 90 million worth public market project in Barangay Buadi Sacayo in Marawi City have been separately led by Gandamra and Hataman.
According to Mijares, he has directed the Marawi City police office to help monitor the projects sites to ensure the safety of construction workers.
“These projects will help accelerate the restoration of normalcy there. We are grateful to the proponents of these projects — the Marawi City government and the Hataman administration,” said Mijares, who was born and raised in Marawi City.
The ARMM police and unites of the WestMinCom also provided security to the regional health and social welfare employees who served 896 Maranao residents in Malabang town in Lanao del Sur on March 01, 2018.
The ARMM provinces of Lanao del Sur and Sulu accounts for most number of unsettled clan wars in the autonomous region.