The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) said it has yet to receive any documented human rights violations or complaints amid the implementation of martial law in Mindanao.
AFP spokesperson Brig. Gen. Edgard Arevalo made this remark in an interview with reporters Wednesday, noting that martial law in Mindanao is being implemented with respect for human rights.
“Martial law (is being) implemented (with respect) for human rights, we enforce it with adherence to existing laws (and) so far wala tayong nakukuhang dokumentadong mga reklamo sa ginagawa nating pag-iimplement ng martial law (we are still to receive any documented complaints regarding our implementation of martial law),” Arevalo said.
Earlier, the AFP spokesperson said the military is inclined to recommend the extension of martial law in Mindanao.
“Well, yun nga ang sinasabi natin, successful yung ating conduct ng security (operations). (As we said, our conduct of security operations are successful) but we have to sustain those gains and even yung (the) local governments, marami sa kanila ang nagpahayag ng kagustuhan, sa pamamagitan ng mga statements na in-issue nila (many of them expressed desire through their statements which they issued), some have issued resolutions wanting to continue the implementation of martial law in Mindanao, so kinakalap natin lahat itong mga inputs na ito para ating pag-aralan upang sa ganun makakuha tayo ng conclusive additions dun sa mga (we are collecting all these inputs which we will study so we can obtain conclusive additions to the) reasons if we are to extend martial law ,” he added.
“But more likely, the AFP will recommend its extension base dun sa mga initial na nabanggit ko (from what I have initially mentioned),” said Arevalo, who declined to give a specific timeframe on its extension.
Malacañang earlier said it would depend on the recommendation of the AFP on whether martial law will be extended after the end of the year.
Martial law in Mindanao was declared on May 23, 2017 following attacks launched by the Maute Group in Marawi City.
The House of Representatives, in a special joint session in July last year, granted the extension of martial law until Dec. 31, 2017 at the President’s request.
The Senate and House of Representatives, convening in a joint session early December, subsequently granted President Rodrigo Duterte’s request for the extension of martial law and the suspension of the privilege of the writ of habeas corpus for a period of one year from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31, 2018. (Priam Nepomuceno, Philippine News Agency)